Heading into this summer, my fiance and I have a goal of visiting one of BC’s secluded and natural hot springs every month from May until October. Our parameters around what is a “secluded” hot spring are as follows.
- No fee to visit the spring
- No public signage for the spring
- No city or town in view from the spring
- Must be at least a 20 min hike into the spring
I am not originally from British Columbia, so I needed a bit of help locating and researching these natural hot springs. Thankfully my fiance is a true bred, hiking, fishing BC boy, so he has in his personal library a book that I am to be a hugely useful resource.
Our first stop, May’s Hot Spring Adventure was from page #19 of the book – the Pebble Creek or popularly known as the “Keyhole Hot Spring” .
From the book.
” There is a group of eight small springs seeping from a rock face at the foot of a waterfall on the north bank of the Lillooet River, about 3 km north of the mouth of Meager Creek.”
And it did meet all of our criteria.
- No fee to enter or to park
- Is a 1.5 hour hike round trip
- There is a small sign at the make shift parking lot, but i think its only to deter tourists from wandering off in the wrong direction into the bush
- The view from the spring is beautiful mountains and a lush valley
The springs are approx. 3-4 hours from Vancouver.
From Whistler Drive north on Highway 99 until you reach Pemberton. When you reach Pemberton turn left at the traffic lights and after 1k you will come to a roundabout, left here and drive 200 meters to the T junction, you will see a sign for “The Meadows” turn right here and another “The Meadows” sign in a couple hundred meters pointing left. Head NW from Pemberton on Pemberton Meadows road for 25km, and turn right onto Upper Lillooet. Be careful to keep left at 9km (right goes to Gold Bridge via Hurley Pass). At km 37 continue straight past the Meager Creek turn-off on your left, which is now a mound of dirt blocking the road that once was the giant bridge to Meager Creek Hot Springs.
We shall see where next months hot springs adventure will take us.